Wednesday, November 6, 2013

McDonald's Mighty Wings Review: I believe I can fly


McDonald’s has wings? How did you not know this? Haven’t you seen one of the many commercials with Super Bowl Quarterbacks Joe Flacco and ColinKaepernick? Maybe the thought of wings from McDonald’s was so off-putting that you blocked them from your mind. Well open your mind back up because these wings are liable to surprise you.

I must admit that I brushed off wings from McDonald’s as something I would probably never get, but then again I’m always hungry and always willing. I’m glad that I chose to try them.

Let me preface this review by saying that you must temper your expectations. If you go into this expecting to taste a chicken wing that will match up with your favorite wings from your favorite wing place, then you’re not giving them a fair chance. At the same time, you don’t have to lower your expectations all the way to the floor either because these wings can actually hold their own.

 I have to start by saying that I normally like my wings drenched in sauce and don’t prefer a dry wing or one with a dry rub. In that sense, McDonald’s Mighty Wings go against everything I stand for as they do not bear a saucy coat. What they do possess though is a crunchy outer covering, so I give them a pass. I actually quite enjoyed the crunchiness of the wing. It added to the flavor experience for me, but I will get more into that later on. You do have the option to choose one of many sauces with the wing, but I chose to leave the wings in their natural state.

Going by appearance, the wings look good enough and they are plenty big. It does depend on who dropped them in the fryer I guess because if left in too long they come out looking a bit burnt and crispy as you can see on two of the wings I got in this picture. They weren’t so burnt that I couldn’t enjoy them though, so that’s a plus.

Why did I only get five?
The wings also get a passing grade of their texture and composition. Is it real chicken? I don’t know. It’s supposed to be I think. It looks like it is. The ingredients list “chicken wing sections” which is good enough for me. On top of that there is plenty of chicken on the bones. Each wing leaves nothing to be desired. They are actually some of the meatiest wings that I have ever tried. I bet you weren’t expecting that.

Now we move to taste, the most important factor. They taste pretty good actually. I have no complaints. Like I said above, the crunchiness of the breading really adds a little something to the wing if you ask me. Even without any dipping sauce added, the wings have a little bit of a kick to them. I consider myself to have a fairly high tolerance for heat in foods, so I wouldn’t really call them hot, but they are a tiny bit spicy. If you don’t have much tolerance for spicy foods, then you will feel a little burn upon completing your choice of three, five, or ten wings.

I’m not saying you should rush out to McDonald’s and buy 50 of these wings for your next football viewing party, but I’m not saying you’d be disappointed either. However, if you’re in a pinch for time and are looking for something a little different, McDonald’s Mighty Wings are worth a shot.

The Verdict: Try the Mighty Wings. They'll have you singing "I believe I can fly." You won't be saying "I've made a huge mistake." I ate them and will eat them again. In fact, I’ve had them at least three times that I can remember. Make it happen because they are supposedly going away when football season ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment